Chart House Squaw Bread
• 1 1/4 cups Warm water
• 2 tablespoons Molasses
• 1/2 teaspoon Caramel coloring * – opt.
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Malted barley flour **
• 2 cups Bread flour
• 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup Unprocessed bran – or Wheat bran
• 1/4 cup Dark brown sugar (3 TB)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Oatbran
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Rolled oats
• 2 teaspoons Granola
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
• 2 1/2 teaspoons Yeast (1 envelope)
Oil and/or butter are not missing. They are not needed.
* Caramel coloring was only used to give the bread an almost pumpernickel color. I found it in a cake decorating store which was also a bakery. ** The malted barley flour is also known as diastatic malt powder. In a bowl combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, unprocessed bran, dark brown sugar, oatbran, rolled oats, granola, malted barley flour and salt. In bread pan add water, molasses, and caramel coloring. Add flour mixture; top with yeast and select dark bread setting.
NOTE: Raisins could be added if desired. If you do, eliminate the caramel coloring and liquify the water, 1/4 cup raisins, molasses and brown sugar before adding to the machine.
Many of the bread recipes on this website are made for a Bread Maker. If you do not have one, sometimes you can adjust the Directions to work in your own kitchen.