Squid with Garlic-Anchovy Pasta
• 1 1/2 lb Small squid; cleaned, bodies sliced into 1/4-inch rings, tentacles halved if large
• 1 c Plain dried bread crumbs (about 4 ounces)
• 1 ts Oregano; crumbled
• 1 ts Freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 c Olive oil
• 2 tb Olive oil
• 1 lg Clove garlic; minced
• 1 ts Anchovy paste
• 1/2 lb Dried capellini (or other thin pasta)
• 1 tb Unsalted butter
• Lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat the oven to 450F. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. In a large bowl, toss the squid with the breadcrumbs, oregano, pepper, and one teaspoon salt. Spread the squid in a large baking dish in a single layer and sprinkle with any leftover crumbs. Drizzle 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on top. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the squid is golden brown and crunchy.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the garlic and the anchovy paste into the remaining 1/4 cup oil and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, whisking, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add salt to the boiling water. Add the capellini and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain the pasta and return it to the saucepan. Add the anchovy sauce and the butter and toss to coat. Make a bed of capellini on a platter or plates. Mound the baked squid on the pasta and serve with lemon wedges.